With the division already stacked, Alexander Gustafsson alerts the light heavyweights with a dominant performance over Thiago Silva at UFC on Fuel TV 2.
Gustafsson made highly rated brawler Silva his latest victim as he climbed the light heavyweight ladder on Saturday night. The improvement Gustafsson has made since his only career loss to Phil Davis has been met with the mauling of fellow light heavyweights and has to be getting Jon Jones’ attention.
The key things to Gustafsson's unanimous decision victory were the Mauler’s height, footwork and reach. The first round saw Silva get dropped by a beautifully timed uppercut, however Silva did not stop coming forward - he just couldn't manage to get inside and do damage to the Swede.
Gustafsson utilised his reach advantage with landing big strikes and jabs to Silva and quickly moving out of danger. In and out, in and out.
Three rounds in and Silva looked battered, but he was wounded in just round 1 when he was cut above the right eye.
Gustafsson said after his fight that he was trying to stay busy and he always trains for five round fights after extending his MMA record to 14-1.
“Alexander is a tough guy and I couldn’t close the distance - he deserved it.” said Silva after his loss.
Brian Stann, the former WEC Light Heavyweight Champion, was coming off of a submission loss to the no.1 contender to the middleweight strap, Chael Sonnen and needed a win.
Since his move to 185, Stann has looked like a force in the division and was looking to pick up another win over the tough Italian Alessio Sakara.
Both fighters exchanged heavily until Stann managed to secure a clinch and drop Sakara with some hard knees to the head.
Whilst on the ground with Stann in Sakara’s guard, the All American landed an elbow and a couple of strikes to send Legionarius to sleep.
Back in the mix in the middleweight division, Stann said “give me whoever is next up the ladder; I lost big in my last fight.”.
- Brad Pickett def. Damacio Page via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:05 of round 2.
- John Maguire def. DaMarques Johnson via submission (armbar) at 4:40 of round 2.
- Dennis Siver def. Diego Nunes via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).
- Siyar Bahadurzada defeated Paulo Thiago via KO (punch) at 0:42 of round 1.
- Brian Stann def. Alessio Sakara via KO (punches) at 2:26 of round 1.
- Alexander Gustafsson def. Thiago Silva via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28).
- Fight of the Night: Brad Pickett vs. Damacio Page
- Knockout of the Night: Siyar Bahadurzada
- Submission of the Night: John Maguire